Best Books for Law of Contract in India – Studying the law of contracts in India requires a good understanding of the Indian Contract Act, 1872
Best Books for Law of Contract in India
Studying the law of contracts in India requires a good understanding of the Indian Contract Act, 1872, which is the primary legislation governing contracts in India. To help you get a strong grasp of contract law in India, here are some recommended books:
- “Pollock & Mulla: Indian Contract and Specific Relief Acts” by Pollock and Mulla: This is a comprehensive and widely used textbook that covers both the Indian Contract Act and the Specific Relief Act. It provides in-depth analysis and commentary on the key principles and case law related to contracts in India.
- “Cheshire, Fifoot, and Furmston’s Law of Contract” by M.P. Furmston: While not specific to Indian contract law, this is a highly regarded book on contract law principles, and it provides a strong foundation that can be applied in an Indian context. It’s a helpful resource for understanding the general principles of contract law.
- “Contract Law in India” by Nilima Bhadbhade: This book is specifically tailored to the Indian legal system and provides an in-depth analysis of contract law in India. It covers various aspects of contract formation, performance, breach, and remedies.
- “Indian Contract Act, 1872” by Avtar Singh: This book provides a detailed commentary on the Indian Contract Act, 1872. It’s a good resource for understanding the provisions of the act and their practical application.
- “Law of Contract” by Dr. R.K. Bangia: This is a popular textbook for students studying contract law in India. It covers the key concepts, principles, and cases related to contract law.
- “Indian Contract Act, 1872” by Dr. Kapoor: This book provides a comprehensive overview of the Indian Contract Act and includes practical illustrations and case law references to help readers understand the principles of contract law.
- “Contract Law in India” by Dr. Ashok Jain: This book is designed for law students and professionals seeking an understanding of contract law in India. It covers the fundamental principles and includes practical examples and case law.
When studying contract law in India, it’s important to not only read textbooks but also consult the latest case law and judgments, as they play a crucial role in the development and interpretation of contract law. Additionally, consulting the latest editions of the above-mentioned textbooks is advisable, as the law may evolve over time.